Arnab Goswami was questioned for 12 hours yesterday. He was booked by the Nagpur police for allegedly making inflammatory statements in a debate following Palghar lynching. The complaint was filed by a regional Congress leader after which ML Joshi Road Police Station carried out the interrogation.
As per the FIR, Arnab has been booked under sections 117, 120 B, 153 A, 153 B, 295 A, 298, ,500, 505(2) and 506 of the Indian Penal Code.
Let us understand all sections
- IPC Section 117 – Abetting commission of an offence
- IPC Section 120 B – Punishment of criminal conspiracy
- IPC Section 153 A – Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language etc.
- IPC Section 153 B – Imputating assertion prejudicial to national integration
- IPC Section 295 A – Deliberate and Malicious act intended to outrage religious feeling of any class by insulting its religion or religious belief
- IPC Section 298 – Uttering words with deliberate intent to wound religious feelings
- IPC Section 500 – Punishment for defamation
- IPC Section 505(2) – Punishment for mischief
- IPC Section 506 – Punishment for criminal intimidation
Police DCP Avinash Kumar said that the police has recorded statement and interrogation is underway. On the other hand, Arnab Goswami has said that he presented the facts and truth will come out. Earlier Supreme Court has given a stay on all the FIRs for next three weeks except the one in Nagpur, which has been transferred to Mumbai.
Meanwhile, the two people arrested for the alleged attack on Arnab have been released on bail on Monday after their custody expired. Police also recorded the statements of the security guards assigned to Arnab Goswami.