The Lebanon government has declared a state of emergency for two weeks following the horrific explosion in the Lebanese capital of Beirut, during which time the military has been granted broad powers. The government announced this after a cabinet meeting on Wednesday. The government said that several officials of the Beirut port were being kept under house arrest until an inquiry into how 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was brought to the port.
Beirut explosion due to negligence
It is believed that the explosion occurred due to negligence. More than 100 people died and around 4,000 people were injured in the incident. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has expressed condolences to the people of Lebanon. He has offered to send humanitarian aid to the country after this devastating explosion.
The explosion has damaged buildings in the city for miles away. The Beirut governor said Wednesday that thousands of people would not be able to return to their homes for two-three months. Meanwhile, a government letter is being shared online in which the head of the customs department has warned that the ammonium nitrate kept in the port hangar should be removed or else it could be a threat.
In 2013, 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate were seized from a vessel and since then it was kept on the vessel. It is believed that a fire broke out near it on Tuesday, causing it to explode. He is saying that five similar letters have been sent in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
A letter written to a judge in 2017 by the head of the customs department could not be immediately confirmed. If this letter is correct, it will strengthen the belief of those people that mismanagement, negligence and corruption in the political class are responsible for the explosion.