The Meghalaya government on Tuesday step back on their orders to open religious places from June 14. After detecting four new covid-19 cases in state since Monday, tally increased to 40 that is three times of what it was during the second week of May.
The state government had earlier drafted safety protocols, to start religious places in christian- dominated area from June 14.provided they abide by the guidelines.
“We have withdrawn our previous order allowing places of worships to open, in view of the spike in COVID-19 cases in the state,” Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong told PTI.
Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma met the top religious leaders in the state to discuss the matter about opening of religious places.
“Based on consultations with different religious organisations this afternoon, the Govt has decided to put on hold the reopening of religious institutions in #Meghalaya that was previously decided for the 14th of June,” he tweeted.
All religious place over the state has been issued the order , that doors of places of worship for devotees will not be opened anytime soon, as it could expose people to the risk of virus transmission.
“We will continue with online services until people feel safe to come to church,” Unitarian Union of North East India president D P Pariat said.
Chief Minister Conrad Sangma has last tweeted the update of COVID19 cases in state of Meghalaya.
“Three more residents who returned to the state from Delhi and Chennai have tested positive for COVID19. All of them are under quarrantine and are asymptomatic.
Total active cases 29
Total recovered 13.